The Adventures of (Angel) Grrreta's Fam

Friday, February 15, 2013

Worst Valentines Day Gift EVER!



















Nothing says "I love you" like a glucometer...

This is NOT my happy face.

















I've been diagnosed with feline diabetes. Over a period of a few months, I lost quite a bit of weight, which led mom to have me tested and diagnosed. I started twice daily insulin injections and once per week blood glucose testing at the vet's office as the vet recommended. Unfortunately, I had two very scary acute hypoglycemic episodes in the first eight days,...so after reading that the doodalicious Armani of JB's Small World tests his blood glucose level daily at home, and after getting info from his mom, we decided to test at home also. The pharmacist recommended this glucometer, but Mommy is considering exchanging it for one that requires a smaller blood sample size. Rumor has it that Mommy thinks she is going to steal my blood from my ear. I can guarantee Mommy will end up with an ample sized blood sample...but it might be her blood instead of mine.

A message from the Mom: My sweet little Grrreta has been incredibly patient and cooperative. I'm very lucky that she loves jumping in her pet carrier, riding in the car, and visiting the vet. She loves the attention, and has been great about letting me give her insulin injections. I'm not looking forward to getting blood samples from her ear, but hopefully it will help the vet find the best insulin dosage for Grrreta to gain back some weight and live a long happy life.

12 comments:

The Island Cats said...

Oh Grrreta, we're sorry you have diabetes. But we know if you get it under control, you can live a long time. We've read how well Armani has been doing...so we're glad you got some good information from his mom.

Quill and Greyson said...

Hope you find the right balance to help Grrreta feel better! Big hugs and purrs to you!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm sorry you are dealing with this sweetie but it is quite manageable and I know you will just fine. Hugs from all of us.

Forever Foster said...

You're such a good girl, Grrreta, to be so cooperative for your mum. You're a lucky ladycat to have someone taking such good care of you. We hope with the monitoring you are able to quickly get it under control. Smooches to you, sweet girl, and to your mum too as we can imagine this hasn't been easy for her.

Katnip Lounge said...

Grrreta, our Fuzzy lived a long long time with diabetes...until he was 19! He would wait patiently every morning for his shot(1 unit) because he always got a tiny treat afterwards.
Has your Mom considered a grain-free diet?

Jans Funny Farm said...

Yep, you win the prize for the worst Valentine's Day present. But we know your mom needs that to be able to help you. Please consider not drawing her blood when she has to draw yours.

Mr Puddy said...

Grrreta, you are poor sweet heart !
If I can share my weight to you, I will do
Paw crossed and sending best purrs for you my dear
(((( hug ))))

Tamago said...

Oh Grrreta, so sorry to hear you have feline diabetes. You are such a good girl to let your mom do injections and be so patient. I hope you gain your weight back. Purrs and prayers for you, sweet Grrreta.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We're so sorry to hear you have diabetes, sweet Grrreta. But then again, you are in extremely good company with handsome hunk Armani, aren't you?!

Paws crossed that the glucometer does its job well.

Purrs,
The chans

Marg said...

Oh Grrreta we are so sorry that you have diabetes. But it sounds like you are being such a good girl. We hope getting the blood sample goes well. We sure do send tons of purrs to ya and hope the medicine can help you gain some weight and feel better. Take care.

meowmeowmans said...

Oh, Grrreta, we are so sorry to hear about your diabetes. You are such a good kitteh. We are purring and praying that you get regulated.

Hugs!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

We are all saddened and sending soft purrs in your memory, Grrreta. We will miss you.